Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Stoicism

   I admire the great minds behind Stoicism. Socrates and Plato to name a few. They truly revolutionized the way that humans looked at life. There are parts of Stoicism I believe in. I believe in living a moral life and self-examination. To contrast however, there are parts of Stoicism that I fervently disagree with. 

   The idea of emotional detachment is keeping yourself emotionally detached from the suffering of others because everything happens for a reason. Everything is pre-determined. The idea sickens me. The moment one becomes emotionally detached from the suffering of others is the moment that one loses his or her sense of humanity. Look at WWII, Vietnam, Kosovo and countless other slaughters. 


   Has the idea of determination served us well? If God planned or allowed those horrible events to occur, then is that a God that you would want to believe in?

No comments :

Post a Comment